Wednesday, July 6, 2016

AFRICA

I just returned home from a month in Ghana and it changed my perspective on everything! I grew such a love for those people and the African culture. We were able to work in several orphanages and help in the reunification process of orphans. KaeMe translates to "remember me" meaning that no child is left behind.

My favorite part of the experience was being able to connect with the people and children so intimately. Without the distraction of internet and smartphones and "modern conveniences", it left so much room for interaction and reality.

Everyone in Ghana greets you with a warm "how are you?" and proceeds to really get to know you and concerns themselves with your wellbeing. Entitlement is almost non-existent in Ghana as everyone works their hardest to make a living and support themselves. There is so much to be learned from these wonderful people. After one month, I was able to really change my perspective and welcome more hard work and gratitude in my life. I can't imagine a whole lifetime of being in Ghana.

Since I've been home I've been extra grateful for Air Conditioning, bathtubs, hot water, FOOD essentially everywhere, options options options...we have everything at our fingertips!, my guitar, family, clean fresh air, clean water from the tap, and law enforcement. I was able to celebrate all that this country has to offer with the Fourth of July! We spent a few days up in Island Park where we were able to go horseback riding, four-wheeling, and float the river.

I've only been home a week and I'm already ready for my next adventure. I have fallen in love with traveling. Our family is planning a cruise in December. We will be flying to Orlando and spending a week at sea visiting the Caribbean! I can't wait!

No comments: